[Foundation-l] UK Foundation (was Day 1 Fund Drive Report)

James D. Forrester james at jdforrester.org
Sun Feb 20 03:34:50 UTC 2005

On Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:20 AM, Scott Keir <scottkeir at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

[Snip]

> has there been consideration given to setting up a UK Foundation, to
> promote Wikimedia and raise funds in the UK?

I had a quick look into it, and it looks do-able, but there are some issues
(for example, the Wikimedia Foundation United Kingdom could not merely send
collected monies overseas to the Wikimedia Foundation and expect to be
granted charity status, but would have to be a proper institution in its own
right, with a Plan and so on); however, it does look like it would be a not
entirely insensible thing for us to do.

Obviously, long-term, WMFUK would be sub-ordinate to WMFEU (or perhaps just
WMFE?) which, in turn, would function at the behest of the WMF; however,
only the last of these three organisations currently exist, so... :-)

As I have said a few times before (;-)), I would be happy to help out with
the establishment of a UK Foundation.

[Snip]

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester -- Wikimedia: [[W:en:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Mail: james at jdforrester.org | jon at eh.org | csvla at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
IM  : (MSN) jamesdforrester at hotmail.com