[Foundation-l] Progress on wikimedia.com?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 23:09:52 UTC 2005

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> On a different note, yes, Wikimedia and Wikipedia are very confusingly
> similar. Individually, our naming choices have been good, but taken
> together, they're a mess. I think it's too late to rename Wikimedia,
> with international organizations in place and 2 million Google hits on
> that name. The best way to deal with that problem, in my opinion, is to
> give a short explanation on the wikimedia.org page  (which would then be
> the foundation page), with a small icon and a link to Wikipedia.

IMO, the shorter name can and should be used to present selected content from
the various projects along with the ability to search all projects at once or
individually. Something like the homepage for InfoPlease but better.
http://www.infoplease.com/

At the very least, we should have the current owner forward Wikimedia.com to
Wikimedia.org. We can then negotiate ownership transfer costs.

-- mav