[Foundation-l] "Fair Use does not apply to DSM material or any other APA/APPI content." um, wtf?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Dec 24 10:28:48 UTC 2005

Jake Nelson wrote:

> Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> It would probably be impractical for us to take anything but the
>> definitions from thes works, but I do note that the quoted comments
>> say "we do not allow anyone to alter our material".  The GFDL does
>> allow alterations, but also allows invariable sections.  We allow the
>> downstream user to do what he will with the material, with no
>> declaration of invariant sections.  Wouldn't it make more sense to
>> have all quotations declared invariant.
>

> Can't do it. Invariant Sections are a subset of Secondary Sections
> under the GFDL: see definitions below. Basically, it's for
> acknowledgements, legal disclaimers, etc. If, say, the quotations were
> all in a separate appendix, never in an entry page itself, and were
> considered not to "fall directly within" "the Document's overall
> subject" - highly unlikely for any Wikimedia project I can think of -
> then it could be declared Invariant. However, this would require every
> downstream user to republish the quotations appendix in full in every
> derivative work, no matter what it is.
>
> From the GFDL's definitions section:
> (see [[Wikipedia:Text of the GNU Free Documentation License]])
>
> A "Secondary Section" is a named appendix or a front-matter section of
> the Document that deals exclusively with the relationship of the
> publishers or authors of the Document to the Document's overall
> subject (or to related matters) and contains nothing that could fall
> directly within that overall subject. (Thus, if the Document is in
> part a textbook of mathematics, a Secondary Section may not explain
> any mathematics.) The relationship could be a matter of historical
> connection with the subject or with related matters, or of legal,
> commercial, philosophical, ethical or political position regarding them.
>
> The "Invariant Sections" are certain Secondary Sections whose titles
> are designated, as being those of Invariant Sections, in the notice
> that says that the Document is released under this License. If a
> section does not fit the above definition of Secondary then it is not
> allowed to be designated as Invariant. The Document may contain zero
> Invariant Sections. If the Document does not identify any Invariant
> Sections then there are none.
>
> (end quote)

The quotations do hava a historical connection with the subject matter.
Non-distortion of quoted material could also be viewed as an ethical
position..  The "Secondary Section" part of the above could be read such
that a relationshio is only required for front matter.  (The verb is
"deals" not "deal".)  It may be a little awkward but  each quote could
be arganized so as to be a separate appendix.

Ec