[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 19:16:10 UTC 2005

Hoi,
Re-iterating what has been said does not make for understanding. By
being inflexible and apparently not understanding what concerns there
are on the other end of an issue. You entrench your position.

I will tell you why we are different. We are different because we are
not a professionally produced publication. We do not have the pretence
that we know it all. We invite everyone to contribute and these other
publications do not. When you, and here I repeat myself, do not care for
the people who have never cited anything and make them out to be wrong
as a consequence, you do not understand why we are different.

Again, citations have their place but do not quote your sources relating
subjects like religion because they are all hopelessly point of view.
The only thing you can achieve there is that you show that someone
published a point of view. Citations and sources are a double edged
sword, they either allow you to clear up disputes or they allow you to
destroy what differentiates Wikipedia from these "normal published
textbooks, including encyclopaedias".

So "obviously" you must be right because you quotes your source.. Then
again if this is the case, what did you add to the discussion ? And what
makes your source the authority that makes the difference ?

Thanks,
    GerardM