[Foundation-l] Wikimedia meeting today

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 10:43:50 UTC 2005

On 27/08/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/License
> > > It was circulated on the mailing list. [...]
> >
> > As you can see, it was never mentioned.
>
> That's completely untrue. The page was advertised on the Wikinews
> mailing list as the following extract shows:
>
> On 8/10/05, Erik Moeller wrote on wikinews-l:
>
> > So, what do we do next? I have started a new page at
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/License
> > which collects the licensing options and the main arguments I could
> > think of. I invite you to add arguments to this page. Perhaps we can
> > find a clear consensus for one option, but if we cannot, we will
> > probably have to resort to a vote to finalize the decision.

Hmmm, and how was I supposed to know that? Funnily enough, I can't
tell what was and was not posted to the mailing list when all public
records from period have been lost.

Look, as far as consulting with the Wikinews community goes, it's not
to difficult to understand:

1. There are few active Wikinews contributors on the wikinews-l list
2. It appears to be English only (ie poking through the archives I see
few/no non-English posters)
3. We don't have a lot to talk about, so therefore discussions tend to
stay on the wikis.

So if you want to ask every Wikinews community about something, you
post on the wikis. You go to the Water cooler on en. and post your
query, and you repeat that exercise on each language edition.

Otherwise you *will not* reach the people who actually contribute. You
may _wish_ that posting to the mailing list is sufficient to do that -
BUT IT IS NOT.

Dan