[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Foundation in 5 years - Giant brainstorming - a game with rules.

Jakob Voss jakob.voss at nichtich.de
Sun Aug 28 01:37:00 UTC 2005

Delphine Ménard wrote:

> [...] it is sort
> of a giant brainstorming to see where everybody thinks the Wikimedia
> Foundation should be in 5 years from now.
> You're free to say anything that goes through your
> head. Your ideas should go on this list.
> However, THIS IS NOT TO BE DEBATED.
 > ==WMF in 5 years==

Well, instead of going to bed I brainstormed a bit so apologiye if some
of the ideas are not that perfect. Some are better WMF in 10 years.

> *Board and management
> *Staff (the positions, the roles, whether they're paid or not)

There is first a supervisory board consisting of voted representatives
of the projects, local chapters, and a president and second the
management. The supervisory board only makes fundamental decisions and
controls the management. Regularly all actions (finance, hardware,
relations...) are done by the management. It is adviced to act as
transparent and to delegate as much as possible to volunteers and local
chapters. The management is paid (at least partly) and can hire other
people for specific tasks.

> *Budget
> *Fundraising scheme

The Foundation coordinates fundraising schemes and grants but most of
the money is collected by the chapters who pay the foundaten if needed
(and vice versa). We'll have a lot of money ;-)

> *Philantropic activity and outreach to get our content widely redistributed
> *Projects
> *Content objectives

Beside central server issues most projects are driven by local chapters.
There are several local projects with other content providers and
redistributors of content produced in Wikimedia projects. First
campaigns against lack of literacy have been started. Lobbying against
exaggerated copyright and patenting keeps going on. There are several
projects collecting free knowledge but we decided not to collect free
art of any kind (this is done by Ourmedia).

> *Software objectives

Times when everything had to be wiki only are over. MediaWiki finnaly
split up into a modularized set of components for collaboratively
editing text ("old school wiki"), editing media, managing structured
data and archiving non-mutable objects.

Servers are still regularly getting slow because of growing usage but as
there are multiple server farms not every project is affected in the
same way.

> *Relationship between chapters and parent organisation
> *Relationships with the outside world (PR, partnerships, etc.)

Local chapters are independent organisations that have a contract with
the Foundation. Most of the projects and partnerships are organised by
local chapters (almost 30 of them in 5 years) that regularly meet. The
Foundation gives general guidelines what kind of projects and
partnerships are welcome and which are not. Only partnerships with
special organisations are directly with the Foundation - for instance:

* Internet Archive
* Creative Commons Initiative
* United Nations

Beside a loose cooperation with United Nations there is no partnership
with any gouvermental or mainly political organisation.

> *Other (anything we did not think of)

* Wikimania organisers don't know who to invite as keynote speaker
because we already had Lawrence Lessing, Tim-Berners-Lee, Dalai Lama...
* WMF has already beed nominated for Nobel Peace Prize but will only get
it in one of the next years because there are still wars at too many
places and ecocide goes on, so there are also other problems but free
knowledge - sad but true but we do our best.

Greetings,
Jakob