[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia meeting today

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 19:07:30 UTC 2005

Dan Grey wrote:

> On 27/08/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It was discussed on the mailing list. The only reason I added this to
>>the agenda was that I realised there had been discussion about this on
>>the Wikinews list starting over two weeks ago that had not yet been
>>resolved. Details are in this thread:
>>http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikinews-l/2005-August/000286.html
>

> There's about four people on the mailing list. It has near-zero
> traffic as we're still small enough for *all* discussion to be kept on
> the wiki.

The wiki is only the english wiki. And for once, it would be nice that a
decision for a project is not done entirely by its english version.
Suggestion : please advertise this mailing list so that more editors
participate to it.

>>The page at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/License says
>>arguments will be collected until August 17.
>

> I have no idea who made that page - and certainly word of its
> existence was never circulated.

Erik. One probably goes back from the time Wikinews concept was being
discussed. The second one is recent and an attempt to make a decision.

>>Since that was 10 days
>>ago, it seems overdue for a decision to be made, or at least for it to
>>be put on the agenda so more people are aware of it. An older
>>discussion is at
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/License_straw_poll
>

> I had a look at that the other day. The vast majority of the "votes"
> there are from 2004. What's more noticeable though is that hardly any
> of the users on that page actually are Wikinews contributors. To sum,
> nothing on that page is relevant to the situation today.
>

> Dan

Best I can then suggest is that you organise such a vote and advertise
it in ALL languages wikinews. Are you ready to do this for us ?
It would be nice that the community makes a suggestion, which will be
approved or not by the board, in the way new projects are.

What do you think ?

Anthere