[Foundation-l] What? Why? Who?

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 03:31:23 UTC 2005

On 8/25/05, Mike Morrell <idaho2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Do we also have some
> statistics showing things like hits per page and also "non-hits"? In other
> words, content that non-contributing users would like to have found but
> didn't?

Non contributors can request articles at pages like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requested_articles

Access statistics are available at
http://www2.knams.wikimedia.org/logwood/logwood.php

We don't have any logs of what people searched for. This might be
regarded a privacy violation if we did.

> Have we carried out surveys amongst non-Wikipedians to find out what
> they (potentially) would be interested in finding out at Wikipedia?

Not that I know of, though there is a lot of ongoing research. See
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research

> 2. Is there any kind of policy or marketing group that adresses the issues
> in point 1.

Not really. The Research Network might be the closest thing to that:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research_Network

Angela