[Foundation-l] New project licensing

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Aug 26 13:48:06 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 8/25/05, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>It's a genealogy site. The main page says:
>>"One of the main aims of the WikiTree Project is to provide a central
>>place on the Internet for kin information about all people we know
>>ever lived, automatically construct bloodline trees, and watch the
>>gradual emergence of global family forest of humanity."
>>

>Neat - we have a project proposal for that called 'Wikipeople'.
>
>see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipeople
>
>A merger of the above proposal with Wikitree may eventually be in order. But an
>NC license is a no-starter for me.
>
>-- mav

You might also want to look at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects/inactive#Wikitree

The person who started the project originally wanted to do it as a
Wikimedia project, but figured it would get much more success doing it
on their own.  As far as licensing issues are concerned, there is a
major thread on the topic at:

http://wikitree.org/index.php?title=WikiTree:Treehouse#Licensing

Including some comments by people who are critics of the Free Software
Foundation and the GFDL in particular that should get some note.  I
think the NC license was a mistake for that site, and it is a show
stopper for me as well to do major contributions.  I do like, however,
some of the MediaWiki software changes they have done to make it work
better with geneological data.

--
Robert Scott Horning