[Foundation-l] Re: Chapters, deductibility and donation profiles (was Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember 1st 20)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 01:46:13 UTC 2005

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> All right. In short, we should try to do some yearly budgeting for next
> year. I also wonder if this is possible, but possibly, with a full year
> past experience, this might be possible.

It should be possible to do so in draft form. You may have noticed that next
quarter's draft budget is already done. I should have draft budgets for the
first and second quarter of 2006 by the time it is finalized and made official.
But I don't think we can have actual yearly budgets until budget growth
stabilizes to something approaching linear increases.

> I suppose it would be easier as well to spend it on european-projects or
>   areas. We probably need to make a second type of budget as well,
> involving the chapters. Could not a global budget, with certain expenses
> being dedicated to local chapters help getting understanding from the
> tax office ?

We can specify needs and different chapters would be able to assist in whatever
ways they legally can. Whatever they help with, will just negate the need to
spend in that part of the budget and the surplus can be spent on special
projects, go into the reserve, or get rolled into the next quarter's budget.

ASIDE: It seems ironic that a non-profit in the U.S. is freer to act
internationally than similar organizations in the supposedly more
internationally-minded Europe. :/

> ermmm, and what about spending some of the money to get an expert in
> international organisations help to figure out how to organise all this ?

That will take a couple years - I plan to get an MBA in global management. :)

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)