[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Spammer trick - image uploads abused

Tim 'avatar' Bartel wikipedia at computerkultur.org
Mon Aug 22 06:56:29 UTC 2005

Hi Wikipedians,

Angela wrote:
> Couldn't it work in the same way the Spam Blacklist works and just not
> allow saves where the wiki text contains http:// or similar. It
> wouldn't have to affect links made with [[square brackets]], so
> referrer checking wouldn't be needed. This would be a very easy way to
> prevent spam without preventing editing.

There seems to be a misunderstanding on my or on your side about the topic.

Elian wrote about spammers, who uploaded pics to a wm project (The pics
are now normal images like any other pictures on this project). Now they
send out spam with this images linked. Then you wrote:

> Turning off external linking, if such a thing could be made possible,
would be much more helpful than disabling images.

So I though you speaked about, only showing images, when you are "inside"
a wikimedia project. This is bad.

But if I now read your last reply, it seems you speak about external links
placed in the project. But this is not the problem.

A little bit confused, avatar :-)