[Foundation-l] Re: Improving navigation of WMF pages on meta

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 19:38:42 UTC 2005

Dan Grey wrote:

> On 21/08/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I think the template for navigation is not really the problem. The
>>problem is that the content of the pages is either non complete, or
>>outdated, or just plain missing. I suggest we improve the content before
>>any big modification of the template itself.
>

> I disagree - in setting this up I read every page on meta related to
> the Foundation. With the exception of the meta budget page (redundant
> with the WMF wiki page - something that patently must not be edited),
> everything people ever desire to know is on meta. It's just buried
> under all the other (mostly abandoned) pages.
>
> Think about what people want to know:
>
> *Who runs the Foundation - the Board
> *Where the money gets spent - the Budget
> *Who does what - the Departments
> *How does the place work (nerd pages) - the Servers
> *Anything local to me? - the Chapters
> *I'm a journalist - Press
>
> Have I missed anything there?
>
> Put it another way: visit, say, http://www.volvocars.co.uk/ . Do they
> list links to the descriptions, prices, specs etc to every model from
> their front page? Of course not. Yet we do.
>
> Why?
>

> Dan

Not convinced, but if we must really shorten the list, I think a few
ones should absolutely be kept. Amongst those, I think that
* the meetings
* and the agenda

are two importants starts to know what is going on, and how editors can
interact with them. In your shorten list, there is no hint of how people
can talk with us.

Secondly, it is a bit bothering there is no more link to pages such as
* trademarks
* domain names
* logos

These are issues where people keep asking information. I see not from
which pages we could list them so that readers could all by themselves
find the information. If I need information on trademarks... should I go
to "the servers", or to "the board" ? Since the "budget" is now linking
to foundation, we can not put links there.

I think your shortened list may be interesting... but is a bit reducing.
By reading it, I feel like the ONLY things we are doing are
* gathering money (the budget)
* spending it on servers
* answering to the press

Errr, I think it goes a little bit further.

However, I agree some other links could be removed. Elections can be put
in board. Chapters could be limited to one general link to all chapters,
where we can also generally explain relationship, mailing list etc...