[Foundation-l] 300 Euro for excellent Articles: an experiment

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Aug 18 15:44:12 UTC 2005

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
> In general, I am also opposed to people paying for articles. I think that
> this will be the first step toward a breakdown of a volunteer community. Imagine
>  this scenario. If Danny is getting paid to translate or write articles,
> maybe I  should too. Maybe I wont even write an article until I get paid for it.

I worry about this as well, but I do think it is worthwhile for us to
have some experiments in seeding the work in languages where we
currently have next to nothing.  I do worry about the possibility of
such work preventing or inhibiting the formation of a genuine community,
so I'm cautious about it.

I don't think that work done for money in Bambara Wikipedia will cause
anyone in English wikipedia to think "No fair, someone in Mali is making
$10 a week writing wikipedia articles, where is my money?"

--Jimbo