[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember 1st 20

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:39:50 UTC 2005

On 8/16/05, Dan Grey <dangrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/08/05, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Too late to book. I've been ringing several possible venues in the UK
> today and none will still be available by that time - many bookings
> have already been taken for next summer, in fact. Is this different in
> other countries?

It is, and it isn't. For having worked in the event business for the
past 7 years, I can say that bookings for conference venues in the
summer are pretty much on a first come, first served basis, first come
meaning the first who books solid. You might want to ask to be
considered as "second option" on many venues that "seem" to be booked
for next summer, and find out that you'll get the venue because you're
the first who signs a contract.

I am completely ok with shortening the calendar if that secures us the
perfect location for next year. I believe that we could have the first
shortlist by the end of September rather than October 15th.

What calendar do you propose?

best,

Delphine
--