[Foundation-l] Re: Google Techtalk

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 17:12:12 UTC 2005

I would like to say something, because

* first the issue has been discussed at the board meeting yesterday and
outcome will be explained in a couple of days, so I do not think it
necessary that people go on discussing it

* second because I think that I will take a wikibreak beginning tomorrow
  for an unknown time (probably a week or so, possibly longer). I will
drop by from time to time for a short time, but I do not think the level
of micromanagement is such that it will be a problem :-)

Essentially, what I would like to say is

I listened carefully to the people saying we were sticking too much with
micromanagement.
I do not fully agree with this, as I feel that adding more officers is
precisely going in the sense of decreasing as much as we can
micromanagement. Soon, I hope, we'll add a chapter coordinator, and I
hope even more responsabilities can be taken by officers themselves,
rather than by the board. For now, I feel that we are not being heavy on
them, but if we are, it is to the officers themselves, collectively or
individually, to tell us we are.
I try myself to be light (I may fail though), for example, yesterday we
approved the budget set up by Maveric after small modifications, decided
of the amount of funds to raise... and the issue is now entirely in the
hand of Maveric. As far as I am concerned, if he asks my help, I will
try to give him, but otherwise, it is his business, to organise with
whoever he wants, the way he wants. I know he will do it well, so why
would I be on his back ? And if we make only 180 instead of 200, we'll
find another way to fill up the hole.
Naturally, there are some areas we like to take care... so quite
naturally, we appreciate to get involved. That does not necessary mean
we "micromanage" officers, but rather that we like to work in a certain
area with them, just as I appreciate to do regular editing on the
projects. Similarly, what Jimbo really likes doing is setting up deals,
doing business development. He is good at it, so it makes sense he does
it. Does that mean that another also willing to do it is "micromanaged"
? I do not think so. There is a big difference between "micromanagement"
and "collaboration".

So, in short, while I am ready to hear more opinions about this comment
on micromanagement, I must say that currently, it is not a comment I
recognise as frankly valid. But well...

The second point is this one. While I recognise as valid the fact that
Erik and I are very often in disagreement and accept that this is a bit
problematic in a team, I totally, firmly and very strongly reject the
idea that the whole event is ONLY a conflict between Erik and I.

I have always been a person who refuses manipulation and who speak
frankly about problems. I refuse to be a coward. I refuse to be a
carpet. When there is a problem, I try to find a way to fix it. If it
does not improve, I refuse to put my head in the sand and to wait that
someone else has the courage to fix the issue for me. This is right what
I tried to do.
When I decided to run for the board, it was by NO mean with the intend
of being a puppet for Jimbo, and by no mean either to hide behind him
for any controversial issue. When I disagree with Jimbo or thinks he is
doing wrong, I tell him. When I think an officer is doing wrong, I tell
him. When I hear many people complaining about an officer and nothing is
happening, I do not take a refill of ice-cream. At the risk of appearing
to be a real bitch (which I clearly am now for some people), I prefer to
say it, even if I know the person I am talking about is the most
eloquent on Wikipedia and I know I will be damaged myself.
If some of you want to believe this is ONLY a conflict of person, it is
fine. I think it is still worth to do it for those who know it is not
only or simply a conflict of person. And worth saying things openly for
the sake of the organisation, rather than letting people falsely believe
we are living in barbie's pink paradise. We are not.

Aside from this, why am I taking a break ?

First because I have plenty of people at home.
Second because though I might appear an unreasonable bitch, I have
feelings and feel sad of the whole situation
Third because I have some tension problems, and obgyn recommand rest and
quiet for safety. I am far from it right now :-)

I renew my confidence in Jimbo and Angela as well as confidence and
appreciation in those currently taking care of Foundation issues.

Anthere