[Foundation-l] Re: Official positions

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 23 18:41:50 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

> Yann Forget a écrit:

> valid

> Jimbo

> >>http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=283514
> >

> > I never told this journalist that I was the porte-parole of the
> Foundation.
> > That's a false allegation you continue to spread in spite of the
> fact that I
> > already told you so several times.
> >
> > Yann
>
> You have been asked several times to be careful to restore the
> information and to indicate which role you were holding each time you
> talked about something. This in particular true for all topics which
> are related to the Foundation proper.
>
> Typically, no articles about a potential agreement with Google should
> appear in the press, with comments from you, speaking in the name of
> the Foundation. This is not correct.
>
> Each time you let such an article go public, you feed the idea you are
> the porte parole and has more authority to talk about this than anyone
> else.
>
> It does not make things easier when you send our ***official*** 100
> 000 article press release and carefully remove the names of all the
> contacts listed in the press release. You further fuel the idea you
> are the *only* point of contact for any press relation for wikipedia
> and the *only* one who has authority to talk about such matters.
> Anyone has the right to talk about wikipedia. Removing other people
> names is again incorrect.
>
> So, as much as you told me several times you recognised you were not
> the porte parole; I would like to ask you again to clarify in which
> name you talk to any outside person, to remove from you CV the fact
> you are this porte parole and to avoid sending press release without
> any of the contacts mentionned but you only.
>
> Other than this, I have little to say on the quality of your
> participation which is appreciated.

As this is a squabble between two Wikipedians whose opinions and vision
I most deeply respect there are evident misunderstandings involved.  I
noted the phrase "porte-parole de la fondation Wikipédia pour la France"
in the Libération, but I also have enough life experience to know that
what appears in newspapers is often quite different from what is said to
journalists.

I checked Yann's CV at http://www.forget-me.net/cv.html and the only
reference to us there now is "Secrétaire de l'association Wikimédia
<http://wikimedia.org/> France".  I have no problems with this. If
erroneous material was there before it is no longer there.

Giuven the high esteem in which I hold both of you, I'm sure that a
middle path will be found to reconcile this series of misunderstandings
and misstatements.  There are more than enough others that do the contrary.

Ec