[Foundation-l] Do we have a partnership with Ourmedia?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Apr 5 02:15:52 UTC 2005

Angela wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2005 11:19 PM, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>>I complained very strongly to them about it before they launched their
>>site publicly, and so I really don't know what else to say about it.
>>It is not my style to speak ill of people, so I think I'll just say
>>nothing at all.
>

> Wikipedia has been removed from the partners page as a result of this
> complaint.

I'm glad that's been resolved, at least.

> I contacted the founders of Ourmedia about this, who basically felt
> that the link suggested a potential collaboration, much in the same
> way that the page at
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Collaboration_with_Ourmedia
> does.

The Wikipedia logo was displayed prominently under a heading "Sponsors
and Partners" on *every page of the site*, and again prominently
displayed with the Wikipedia listing on their Partners page.

How's that even *vaguely* on the same level as having a single
discussion-oriented page on a community-built site that starts off with
text like "Since Ourmedia share one of the goals of the Wikimedia
Commons, it would be good if we could collaborate with them in some way.
Please use this page to brainstorm ways in which we could do this. Ideas
left here will be fed back to the ourmedia group on their wiki." ?

> JD said "Partnership, to us, means that we are pursuing the same
> goals. If you look at our Partners page, it makes no claim about any
> formal relationship between Ourmedia and Wikipedia. This is simply a
> list of sites that we're working with" and Marc said the partnership
> shows that we both "support the notion of shared repositories".

Perhaps we should chip in and buy JD a dictionary? Sooner or later the
poor fellow's going to be at the wrong end of a trademark lawsuit.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)