[Foundation-l] A question to all board candidates...

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 14:02:15 UTC 2004

--- Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Another point I can think of, is the relationship
> > between a paying member in a local chapter and a
> > paying member in the foundation. Should they
> > participate twice ? Just mentionning as well, that
> > should fees be established, they should take into
> > account the png and financial level of each
> country.
> > 16 dollars is fine in many countries, it is not in
> > many others.
>
> I really think that be a chapter member a person
> would first have to be a
> dues-paying Wikimedia member. We could have
> membership dues start at $10 a year
> - less than the cost of a cheap lunch for two. The
> amount a chapter member has
> to pay to a chapter is really up to the chapter.
>
> -- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

Dear Daniel,

> $10 a year
> - less than the cost of a cheap lunch for two.

In Madagascar, 10 dollars is feeding a full family for
several months.

Set the amount of the annual fee at 10 dollars
whatever the nationality of the member will ensure
that the participation to Wikimedia information
spreading *all over the world* is an activity limited
to "rich members" living in developped countries
members.

Most french people from France could afford 10
dollars/euros a year. But I would be *embarassed* to
request that amount to an Algerian student, and I
would *blush in shame* to request that to a person in
Madagascar.

That goes for local chapter as well as Foundation.

Our participation from third world countries is
currently terribly low. Many of those people are among
those who lack terribly of information. You and I, do
not need *more* information really, we need perhaps
better information, we need less biaised information,
but not *more*. Actually, we have often too much
information.

And as for myself, I consider that the most important
role Wikipedia in particular, could have, is to bring
information to those who do not have access to it. In
our countries, the information will very likely be
distributed through the internet mostly. That is the
best way to keep it updated. And that will be cheap.

In less developped countries, the issue is not even
daily updated information, it is just information in
itself. And it is more relevant to think that part of
the distribution will be paper or cd.
Which means we need people to BE in the country of
distribution probably. We need physical persons over
there. These people will have to be members of the
Foundation so as to participate a minimum to
discussion and votes on these distribution projects.

I would blush in shame to ask them 10 dollars to have
the opportunity to help when 10 dollars is the average
monthly revenue of a person in that country.

Ihmo (but I am aware it is likely to be
controversial); no participant willing to help
*should* have to pay money to do so. People already
give a lot of their time, energy and such. That is
enough that they do not need to pay on top. We are
such an organisation that I am sure we could make it
without forcing people to pay to help. That is a very
capitalist approach to do so. I am sure that people
would just make donations naturally if they feel it
can help.

And last winter donation call support this.

That is what is done in my kids school, which is
catholics, and ask money to help. It is not mandatory;
people are suggested to help, they are suggested a
certain amount, if they give that amount, they perhaps
receive 4 times a year a report paper, and that is it.
People can give recommanded amount. People can give
more. People can give nothing. They are still part of
us.

And that works quite well.