[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Information

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed May 5 18:41:49 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote in part:

>Erik Moeller wrote:

>>first, a note: please use foundation-l for project
>>wide discussions.

>This is exactly what I said very recently. Till
>recently, wikipedia-l was the list to discuss project
>wide discussion. Now, we are beginning to cross post,
>because we do not see where this discussion is
>supposed to take place.

>Typically, discussion over list of contributors, is
>related to gfdl, so should go to foundation, while
>discussion over a message to display during down time
>is rather wikitech or wikipedia-l.

>In short, Erik, the difference between wikipedia-l and
>foundation-l is now difficult to define. Either we
>define it much better, or we should just remove a
>list.

Arguably, <wikipedia-L> should only be for issues
that relate to the Wikipedia encyclopaedia projects,
while anything that equally affects Wiktionary, Wikisource, etc
sould go to <foundation-L> instead.

OTOH, what I thought was the purpose of <foundation-L>
is to discuss matters related to the Wikimedia Foundation,
while anything about the Wikimedia projects themselves
would go to <wikipedia-L> as before.

Now, we could create a /new/ list <wikimedia-L> (with an "m").
Then people posting to <wikipedia-L> could be told
"Hey, this affects Wiktionary too!  Take it to <wikimedia-L>.",
while people posting to <wikimedia-L> could be told
"Hey, this is only about Wikipedia!  Take it to <wikipedia-L>.".
And people posting to <foundation-L> could be told
"Hey, this is about the project content, not Foundation management!
Take it to <wikimedia-L>.", while people posting to <wikimedia-L>
could be told "Hey, this requires official action by the Foundation!
Take it to <foundation-L>.".

What fun that would be! ^_^

-- Toby