[Foundation-l] Contributors list

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 18:25:35 UTC 2004

First, I apology for breaking the thread. Gname is not
working for me for wikipedia-l and foundation-l, and I
know not why.

"A" == Anthere
<anthere9-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:

    A> So, tel me if I understand well, to comply with
the gfdl the
    A> best we can (and we already know it is
problematic), what you
    A> suggest is to list first the real name
contributors, followed
    A> by pseudonymes, then by ips.

OK, so, this feature is on its way with 1.3. I'm less
concerned with
the GFDL than with the Creative Commons
Attribution-style licenses, by
the way, which is what Wikitravel uses.

I'm not sure if this feature will be enabled on any of
the Wikimedia
projects, or how. My main concern is to make it easy
for people
redistributing Wikitravel content to conform to the
attribution
requirements of our license.

------

First thanks for the detailed answer.

I am not sure current editors are requesting to have
the names of authors in the wikipedia page, nor on a
printed page. Why could not the requirements be on a
separate page for the online edition, just by clicking
on a link located at the top of the page ? The author
page could list the last editors and all the others
ones, and that would be a neater list that current
history.

On a printed version, is it best as well, to add 5
names and last authors at the top of articles ? Or
could we just not propose at the end of the
special-for-print page, precisely a list of authors
and the last one.

We should provide the list for legal requirements, but
our names are only important for legal issues, not for
readers. We are not so important individually, as to
be listed at the top of articles, especially since we
know that it is quite subjective to list these 5 names
as five authors.

-----

I understand the proposition to list in order, real
names, pseudonymes and ips. It is much cleaner and
easier to read.

--------

Now, I have another question. Why asking in the
preferences the real name of the editor ? What is that
point of it ?
*If people want to edit under their real name, they
can create an account with their real name. They do
not need two areas, one for a pseudonyme that is their
real name and another for the same real name
*If they do not want to have their name displayed
everywhere, they can have a pseudonyme and place their
real name on their user page
*If they do not want their real name to be displayed
at all, they just have a pseudonyme.

What is the sense to have a pseudonyme to hide a real
name, if the real name is displayed in the
contributors list to an article ?

Why the second field ?

Anthere