[Foundation-l] Re: Funding for the newly elected Board Members

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 06:40:04 UTC 2004

hcheney wrote:

>If Angela did go to Paris for a "trustee meeting" it
>would be an invalid trustee meeting unless one of the
>trustees, or the computer hosting the meeting, were in
>the State of Florida.

I do not believe this to be a correct statement, and it has already been
cited in discussion on the wiki, so I do not wish to let it pass
unchallenged. Although the Wikimedia Foundation is a nonprofit
organization created under the laws of the State of Florida, I'm not
aware of any requirement that meetings be "located" in Florida. The
bylaws certainly do not require it. The most applicable law I could find
in quickly scanning Florida statutes related to nonprofits is Fla. Stat.
§617.0820 (1), which reads: "The board of directors may hold regular or
special meetings in or out of this state." So unless someone can point
me to information to the contrary, I believe that it is possible to have
a valid meeting of the board in Paris.

--Michael Snow