[Foundation-l] Election results?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Jun 15 10:14:21 UTC 2004

Fennec Foxen wrote:
> I'm not an authoratitative source on this, but apparently there will
> be NO release of figures (!), even on a sitewide basis, according to
> directives by Jimbo, for some sort of fear that it will hurt peoples'
> feelings? potentially provide statistics which might perhaps in the
> future maybe damage their potential standing in future elections? I
> have no idea, some sort of excuse of that nature... This is what I
> hear in the IRC channel, anyway, would anyone here (Jimbo? etc) care
> to confirm or deny it in a less transient medium?

There is no directive from me.  Please try not to say things that are
inflammatory!

> Jun 12 23:11:25 <dannyisme>	 i was originally against making them
> public, and jimbo, without knowing my opinion, concurred in a private
> email

I do concur in the opinion.  The numbers are not that meaningful, and
I am ont sure what the point is.  But I leave it to others to decide,
hopefully by a consensus of the candidates.

The reason I think that the numbers are not so meaningful is that I
think that a lot of people agreed with the idea of having a more
international board.  So I think some of the Americans got fewer votes
not because they were thought to be unsuitable, but rather than when
people felt that two candidates were otherwise equal, they tended to
vote European.

It is no big deal either way, but of course I understand that it is a
Wikipedia tradition to make a huge deal out of everything. ;-)

--Jimbo