[Foundation-l] Membership fees proposal

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Jul 30 21:18:00 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Arne Klempert wrote:
>
>> On Friday, July 30, 2004 9:17 PM
>> Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Isn't it possible to do with just a board member vote?  It's not
>>> removing any benefits, just adding something like "those who
>>> contribute at least $60 get a free mug".
>>>

>> Sorry, but I don't understand this discussion. People will become a
>> member because they want to support fantastic projects and/or because
>> they want to be part of a great global movement. IMHO this is more than
>> enough - no need to add a - in proportion to this - very poor free mug.
>>
> There's nothing wrong with mugs.  They're cheap advertising.  If you
> have a visitor serve him coffee in the Wikipedia mug (preferably a
> left-handed mug)  With a little luck he may ask about the logo on the
> mug.  That will be your opportunity to talk about Wikipedia in the
> hopes of snaring another addict.

We could try to satisfy both concerns by making the mug (or whatever)
optional, which is a fairly common thing for non-profit membership
organizations to do.  Some people like the token "gifts" and take them,
but others can check a box saying "I'd rather not have it", thus saving
the foundation a bit of money.

-Mark