[Foundation-l] e-gold proposal

Douglas Jackson djackson at e-gold.com
Sun Dec 12 12:15:34 UTC 2004

Dori wrote:

>Nice pitch, but I still don't get what Wikimedia would have to do.
>When you say "Post a prominent link to the e-gold site" do you mean a
>link on the wiki pages itself, or do you mean a link on a single page,
>specifically http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising (like the
>already existing PayPal ones)?

The link to the e-gold site isn't essential or required. Its just a way
to capitalize on the likelihood that many members of the Wiki community
never heard of e-gold before. That would be good for you because if they
visit the e-gold site by following a link structured like
http://www.e-gold.com/e-gold.asp?cid={your account number} and end up
eventually creating an e-gold account and using it, a portion of all
e-gold payment processing fees generated by their subsequent usage would
automatically be distributed to the account you designate. It is a
permanent entitlement. Whatever these new e-gold users do over the
years, whether buying stuff online (as more prominent merchants
eventually undertake to accept e-gold), paying bills, or using it for
international remittances, their activity would still be generating
revenue for the Foundation.

>I also don't get the referral system. Would e-gold donate to Wikimedia
>besides what the users are donating? Does this effectively mean that
>the percentage that e-gold takes from the user donation will be
>smaller for Wikimedia?

Yes, that is, the part about the net transaction fee being even lower
after taking the incentive bit into account. In fact you could game it a
little further by having the Foundation set up an account first that was
only for the purpose of receiving incentive revenue, then making sure
that that account was the "Originator" of the e-gold account you use for
accepting donations. The net effect would be to lower the (already low)
transaction fee 10-20%.

One of our tech people could walk your tech guys through any subtleties
of implementing the e-gold Shopping Cart Interface and optimizing the
logic of referral links.