[Foundation-l] Help betatest MediaWiki 1.3

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Apr 12 08:47:04 UTC 2004

On Apr 12, 2004, at 01:33, Nancy McGough wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2004 Erik Moeller (erik_moeller at gmx.de) wrote:
>> Please help us in testing the latest version of MediaWiki, ...
>
> I'm planning to convert my Infinite Ink site to a MediaWiki wiki but I
> currently have no experience setting up or administering MediaWiki (or
> MySql). I'd like to use MediaWiki 1.3 or later and I'm happy to help
> beta test it but I have some questions:
>
> * How stable is the 1.3 code right now? Does it make sense for someone
> like me to set it up and experiment with it?

A number of things are not yet working correctly; some features have
been temporarily broken while being rewritten, some other new features
just aren't quite finished yet (templates, new layout, page import).
The wiki->HTML parser is being tweaked for correct XHTML output and
fundamental parts of it get half-broken and half-fixed a couple of
times a day, so I would certainly not recommend setting up a site on
1.3 just now.

> * If I set up 1.2.3 instead, will it be easy to migrate to 1.3?

Yes, it should be pretty easy. We've so far made only minor changes to
the database, which an update script should take care of.

> * When do you think 1.3 will be released? I know that estimating
> release dates is not a very accurate business but any clues in this
> area will help me decide what to do.

A beta release or release candidate before the end of the month is
quite likely, but we don't have firm plans. An official 1.3.0 release
will come when it seems to be working and the installation and upgrade
process has been tested to general satisfaction.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)