[Engineering] [Wiki-research-l] [Analytics] DEPRECATION WARNING: dbstore1002 is going to be decommissioned on March 4th

Neil Patel Quinn nquinn at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 6 15:21:50 UTC 2019

Let me join in with a late appreciation of all the work that Analytics has
done making this migration happen.

As probably the heaviest users of the MediaWiki replicas, we in the Product
Analytics team were a bit worried when we heard the initial plan and had
lot of requests for how to make the new infrastructure usable. Analytics
listened to us in meeting after meeting and in long Phab conversations and
worked *hard *to come up with creative, feasible solutions for our
challenges, even as dbstore1002 slowly failed under them.

In particular, Luca did amazing work during this process: tracking all five
of us analysts down during the mayhem of all hands to see how we worked
with dbstore1002, coming up with smart hacks with SRV records and
command-line clients to make it easier for us to work across the multiple
replacement hosts, exhaustively documenting the new setup
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Analytics/Data_access#MariaDB_replicas>,
and more.

Thank you so much to all of you for providing the infrastructure that
literally makes our jobs possible! 🎉