[Engineering] Planning to de-publish old Windows 8 Wikipedia app

Brion Vibber bvibber at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 29 19:43:56 UTC 2019

Hey all!

I'm planning to de-publish our old circa-2012 Windows 8 Wikipedia app
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wikipedia/9wzdncrfhwm4>, which was an
experimental release that received a few bug fixes but never got assigned
any resources for further development. Somehow we never quite made the
decision to kill it off, so it's still in the Microsoft Store and
installable on Windows 8.1 and 10.

It's rather buggy and hasn't been updated for API and markup changes in the
intervening years, and sometimes I get issue reports forwarded from
Microsoft. Even if I had the bandwidth to keep up with fixes and pull out
the old dev tools, it'd remain of limited use without a lot of work to
rewrite it for Windows 10 and seriously maintain it.

If there are no objections, I'm going to de-publish the app in
mid-February. If anybody's interested in taking over the Wikimedia
Microsoft app publishing account in case we ever want to put something in
there in future (maybe just a web app entry), let me know and we'll figure
out how to transfer ownership.

-- brion