[Engineering] [Research-Internal] Affordable eye tracking

Aaron Halfaker ahalfaker at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 9 16:54:06 UTC 2018

See also: Chen, M. C., Anderson, J. R., & Sohn, M. H. (2001, March). What
can a mouse cursor tell us more?: correlation of eye/mouse movements on web
browsing. In CHI'01 extended abstracts on Human factors in computing
systems (pp. 281-282). ACM.   (I can provide the PDF on request -- too big
to attach)

Kim, N. W., Bylinskii, Z., Borkin, M. A., Gajos, K. Z., Oliva, A., Durand,
F., & Pfister, H. (2017). BubbleView: an interface for crowdsourcing image
importance maps and tracking visual attention. ACM Transactions on
Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI), 24(5), 36.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1702.05150

I don't know how readily available mouse-based attention tracking solutions
are.  But from the literature, it seems like there are good options for
understanding attention through purely software means.

-Aaron