[Engineering] [Ops] Additional European-appropriate MediaWiki train window starting week of July 9th (also SWAT change)

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 11 21:18:55 UTC 2018

<quote name="Marko Obrovac" date="2018-07-11" time="09:05:29 +0200">
> I believe that pinning them to UTC would actually eliminate the confusion.

Two thoughts...

1) If we do this let's do this for all European-focused windows.

That would be the European mid-day SWAT window and the Train window, to
start (there are some other one-off type windows, eg the Portals window,
that would probably also make sense to be pinned to non-SF time, but
it's up to those individuals/teams).

2) I believe it makes more sense to pin the windows to the human
experience time of those who are responsible for doing the window (eg:
follows DST/Summer time in Europe). That way the deployment windows
continue to stay at the same time relative to people's other meetings
(which, some are coordinated with the various deploy (SWAT and Train)
windows). That's what we do for all of the rest of the windows (pinned
to Pacific/SF time, which changes based on DST) and would then be less
of a surprise for everyone.

Based on this map[0] it appears the vast majority of our contributors
and deployers live in DST-affected (inflicted? infected? ;-) )
countries.

Greg

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country#/media/File:DST_Countries_Map.png

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |