[Engineering] [Ops] Changes to SWAT deployment policies, effective Monday April 30th

Niharika Kohli nkohli at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 27 17:05:34 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Will multi-file, single-directory syncs still be allowed? In other words,
> can I deploy a change to the Foo extension that touches many files with
> scap sync-dir extension/Foo ?

According to the task description, yes.

While the "one command sync" patch system makes sense to us SWAT deployers,
we do get a fair number of volunteer developers contributing patches for
SWAT. They will have a hard time telling when they need to split a patch up
and how. How do we plan to address that?

Also, I think dropping the limit to 4 patches per window is extreme,
especially if we are asking people to start splitting their patches now.
Very often we can +2 multiple patches in one go if they don't affect each
other, or sync out changes together if they happen to the same file. I've
deployed 8 patches in a window often, with people asking if they can add
more yet. Due to timezone limitations, most people can only attend one of
the SWAT windows and if they can't get it out in that window, they have to
wait a whole day or more to get it out.

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018, 15:15 Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have made two changes to SWAT policies today.
>>
>> First, we now disallow multi-sync patch deployments. See T187761[0].
>> This means that the sync order of files is determined by git commit
>> parent relationships (or Gerrit's "depends-on"). This is to prevent SWAT
>> deployers from accidentally syncing two patches in the wrong order.
>>
>> Second, we are reducing the number of allowed patches from 8 to 4. This
>> is to reduce stress on the SWAT deployer as well as set expectations for
>> requesters on the pace of the windows. See the approximate best case
>> time spent breakdown[1] for how we came to this number.
>>
>> I've updated the on-wiki documentation on wikitech[2][3].
>>

>> Thank you for flying scap,
>>
>> Greg
>>

>> [0] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T187761
>> [1]
>> * +2/Wait for Jenkins to merge - 2 min
>> * prepare git on tin - 1 min
>> * Deploy to mwdebug - 1 min
>> * Verify on mwdebug - 3 min
>> * Deploy to production - 1 min
>> * Verify & wait/watch logs - 2 min
>> [2] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=SWAT_
>> deploys&diff=prev&oldid=1789212
>> [3] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=SWAT_
>> deploys&diff=next&oldid=1789212
>>
>> --
>> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
>> | Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Niharika
Product Manager
Community Tech
Wikimedia Foundation