[Engineering] [Ops] Changes to SWAT deployment policies, effective Monday April 30th

Brad Jorsch (Anomie) bjorsch at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 27 14:59:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> First, we now disallow multi-sync patch deployments. See T187761[0].
> This means that the sync order of files is determined by git commit
> parent relationships (or Gerrit's "depends-on"). This is to prevent SWAT
> deployers from accidentally syncing two patches in the wrong order.

Is full scap now fast enough that sync-file is no longer necessary?
Discussion on that task seems to say "no".

I'd hate to see people mangling[1] the git log by submitting and merging
patch chains for updating individual files of a single logical change just
to satisfy this SWAT requirement. I'd hate even more if people do that in
mediawiki/core master (versus splitting an existing patch while
backporting), to the point where I'd recommend -2ing such patch-chains
there.

[1]: "mangling" both in that it would introduce unnecessary changes and in
that looking at a single change doesn't let you see the changes to other
files that should logically be grouped with it.

P.S. So if someone has a change that needs to touch 2 files in both
branches, they'd use up the whole smaller SWAT window for that one change
because they'd need 2 patches (1 per file) that both count double (because
two branches)?

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer