[Engineering] (no justification provided)

Chad Horohoe chorohoe at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 7 16:06:00 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 8:33 AM Erik Bernhardson <ebernhardson at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> I have also accidentally done this. Sometimes i copy/paste text from
> gerrit/phab/etc to use as the sync line and i manage to copy a \n at the
> beginning, which syncs with no message and puts my message on the next
> line. Semi-related, what if scap required either the message to be present,
> or a flag that says i really don't want to send a message?

We've all made that mistake, and it's ok. Heck, I just did it yesterday. To
your question: I considered making messages mandatory when I changed (no
message) to (no justification provided). My reasoning against it at the
time was that it's far too disruptive when you're in an emergency
situation. If the site is down and you're trying to fix it the last thing
you need is for your toolchain to start fighting with you. So I decided not
to make messages required.

I have, however, considered making it get progressively more snarky and
passive-aggressive with you in subsequent releases though ;-)

-Chad