[Engineering] Analytics maintenance windows announced for stat boxes, db1046 and thorium (analytics websites)

Luca Toscano ltoscano at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 14 17:59:49 UTC 2017

Hi everybody,

the Analytics team needs to do the following maintenance operations:

1) migrate the Event-Logging master db ('log', currently on db1046) to the
new host db1107 (T156844). This should happen on *Wed Nov 15th (EU morning)*,
and it should be transparent to all the Event Logging users. The only
drawback that might be observed is a delay in getting the latest records on
the analytics db replicas (db1108, db1047, dbstore1002).

2) Reboot thorium and all the stat boxes for Linux kernel updates.

- Thorium hosts all the analytics websites like pivot.wikimedia.org,
yarn.wikimedia.org, analytics.wikimedia.org, etc.. and will be rebooted on *Wed
Nov 15th (EU morning)*, the websites downtime should be minimal (range of
minutes).
- stat boxes (stat1004, stat1005, stat1006) are usually running a lot of
screen/tmux sessions with various data crunching activities, so I'll try to
follow up with all the users currently running something on them to verify
if I can proceed or not. I'd tentatively schedule the reboots on *Thu Nov
16h (EU morning)*, but please follow up with me asap if this needs to be
postponed.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble!

Luca (on behalf of the Analytics team)