[Engineering] Long running tasks/scripts now included on [[wikitech:Deployments]]

Guillaume Lederrey glederrey at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 22 14:19:11 UTC 2016

Hello!

Increasing visibility sounds like a great idea! How far do we want to
go in that direction? In particular, I'm thinking of a few of the
crons we have for Cirrus. For example, we do have daily crons on
terbium that re-generate the suggester indices. Those can run for >
1h.

My understanding is that those kind of crons should not be considered
scripts, but standard working parts of the system. Adding them will
probably generate more noise than useful information. Is this a
reasonable understanding?

Thanks!

   Guillaume

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:29 AM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> In an effort to reduce surprises and potential mishaps it is now
> required to include any long running tasks in the deployment
> calendar[0].
>
> "Long running tasks" include any script that is run on production 'work
> machines' such as terbium that last for longer than ~1 hour. Think:
> migration and maintenance scripts.
>
> This was discussed and proposed in T144661[1].
>
> Best,
>
> Greg
>
> [0] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments
>     Relevant diff:
>     https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=850923&oldid=850244
> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T144661
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Guillaume Lederrey
Operations Engineer, Discovery
Wikimedia Foundation
UTC+2 / CEST