[Engineering] Outreachy-13 "almost there" projects

Sumit Asthana asthana.sumit23 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:49:32 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've tried to sort out some "probable" and interesting internship projects
which have a well-defined scope and/or *one* mentor willing to support it.
Please go through them, and let us know if you'd like to mentor, so that we
can feature it for Outreachy-13 [0]( Dec 6 to March 6 ).

*Needing Primary mentors:*

   1. Fork NYPL emoji bot for Commons images (to give back 'similar'
   Commons images) - T143593 [1] - Interesting project on emojis, @*Melody*
   has agreed to provide design help, just needs technical help from someone.
   2. Document process for creating new Zotero translator and getting it
   live in production - T115158 [2] - *@Mvolz* has agreed to be co-mentor.
   We need a primary mentor.
   3. Editor-focused dashboard gadget - T91655 [3] - An interesting idea of
   a gadget for personalized user pages for editors - *@Mvolz* has agreed
   for co-mentor. We need a primary mentor.
   4. Remind me of this article in X days - T2582 [4] - Interesting idea to
   create reminders for editors. *@Mattflaschen and @Mooeypoo* have agreed
   to be co-mentor, we need a primary mentor.

*Needing co-mentors*:

   1. Improvements to ProofreadPage Extension and Wikisource - T128840
   [5] - *@Yann* has agreed to help with fixes fro ProofreadPage Extension,
   needs a co-mentor.
   2. Pywikibot to detect and correctly handle edits that trigger
   abusefilter rules - T85656 [6] - *@jayvdb* is mentoring, we need a
   co-mentor

With some help we can feature these projects for Outreachy-13 and have some
more cool ideas for students to work on.

For signing up as a mentor, just add yourself on the task, or ping and
we'll do the rest.

Please do consider giving a shot :)

[0] - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_13
[1] - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T143593