[Engineering] User Interface access to pageview data: http://pivot.wikimedia.org

Nuria Ruiz nuria at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 13 20:21:55 UTC 2016

Team:

By now (hopefully) everyone is aware that pageview data is available on
hadoop. We know accessing that data is less easy than it should be so the
analytics team has been working on a more friendly way to access our
pageview datasets internally and here it is: http://pivot.wikimedia.org

Pivot is a UI that allows for easy exploration of our data without using
SQL, the team has been using it internally and it already has helped us to
solve couple major questions when it came to pageview spikes last quarter.

Please have in mind that this UI (while snappy) still needs to comb tons
and tons of data thus if you query big time ranges things would not be so
fast.

UI is available thus far only internally and requires ldap access just like
most of our operational tools.

Feedback welcome, can be sent to analytics-internal@

Also, we are now onto our next project regarding edit data, do not get
attach to edit datasets you might see available on the UI too cause those
might disappear.

Thanks,

Nuria

Please forward to any e-mail list I might have missed.