[Engineering] Gerrit was down today

Chad Horohoe chorohoe at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 6 22:33:40 UTC 2016

Hi!

Sorry for the extended downtime! From what we can tell, it appears as though
the machine that Gerrit is running on (lead) is having some hardware issues
that
are making the CPU misbehave. We've worked around it for now, so things
should
be up (and Zuul is processing CI events just fine).

However, since it appears it's a hardware problem, we're planning to
migrate off
of lead to a new machine (cobalt). The public IP addresses will not be
changing.
The plan right now is to do this migration tomorrow with a scheduled
downtime
at 17:00UTC (10:00 PST).

We'll be keeping a close eye on things in the meantime, so if things
deteriorate
again we can start the migration sooner.

(and yeah, wikitech incident report to follow, I'm a little burnt out right
now though)

Thanks again for bearing with us!

-Chad