[Engineering] 1.28.0-wmf.0 on hold for now

Roan Kattouw rkattouw at wikimedia.org
Thu May 12 06:08:49 UTC 2016

TLDR: the bug is fixed and the errors have stopped.

I started working around this train hold by backporting the entire Echo
extension from wmf1 to wmf23, assuming that the bug would be in MW core and
updating Echo wouldn't affect it. Right after I deployed that, these errors
started being thrown by wmf1 too.

It turned out that one of the Echo changes I backported stores the integer
-1 in redis under some circumstances. RedisBagOStuff treats integers
specially, in order to make incr() work: it stores them as plain numbers
instead of PHP-serialized data. But when retrieving this value, the code
didn't recognize -1 as a plain number because it didn't consist solely of
digits ('-' is not a digit), so it thought it was PHP-serialized data and
passed it to unserialize(), which caused the error. Apparently no one had
ever tried to store a negative integer in redis (!) until my Echo change
exposed the bug.

Brad did all the hard work, diagnosing this and writing up a fix on
Phabricator. I turned that into a patch and deployed it about an hour ago.
There haven't been any more errors since then.