[Engineering] 1.27.0-wmf.23 rolled back from Wikipedias

Gilles Dubuc gilles at wikimedia.org
Tue May 10 07:30:14 UTC 2016

My theory seems to have been confirmed by the backport of the
NavigationTiming change to wmf.22, 2 hours before wmf.23 was redeployed.
The backport caused the same kind of 100ms-ish spike on coal.firstPaint as
the one we saw during the initial wmf.23 deployment.

Independently of that, the wmf.23 redeploy didn't seem to cause any
additional (apparent or real) firstPaint regression.

Going forward, the new coal.firstPaint figure is more accurate, as it
doesn't include junk negative values anymore (which we believe came from
user agents that don't comply to the NavigationTiming standard properly).

Someone from releng might correct me if this is no longer true, but given
that wmf.23 was redeployed yesterday, we should be back on track for the
regular deploy train schedule this week.