[Engineering] What happened to all the PDFs of presentations on mediawiki.org?

Dan Garry dgarry at wikimedia.org
Mon May 2 17:43:41 UTC 2016

On 2 May 2016 at 10:20, Arthur Richards <arichards at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> It appears that the PDFs for a lot of the WMF engineering-related presentations
> posted on mediawiki.org <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Presentations>
> are missing, especially for presentations from 2012 and earlier - anyone
> know what happened to them?

After doing some digging, it seems that most (if not all) of the missing
presentations are available on wikitech. I believe this is because the page
used to exist on wikitech instead, and it was imported, but the
presentations weren't.

The simplest solution is probably to update the links to point to wikitech.
The more "correct" solution would be to check which of the files are freely
licensed (hint: anything made by a staff member should be freely licensed
because of their employment contract), upload those presentations to
Commons, and update the links to point to Commons; this would probably
require checking every file manually.

Hope that helps!

Dan
--