[Engineering] How we count uniques

Ori Livneh ori at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 31 06:11:48 UTC 2016

Madhu, Nuria, and Aaron from the Analytics and Research teams have written
a blog post on how we are able to measure the reach of the projects without
tracking users. The technique we use is novel, as far as I know, and it has
already allowed us to quantify and understand the shift from desktop to
mobile better than we could before. So I want to congratulate the three
authors and the rest of the analytics team, as well as encourage you to
read the post, since it makes for very interesting reading. :)

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/03/30/unique-devices-dataset/