[Engineering] Bug reports about on-wiki email not being delivered

Tony Thomas 01tonythomas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 05:05:17 UTC 2016

Thank you for collecting it all in a place, Andre.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Andre Klapper <aklapper at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> (SPF policy of freemailers? BounceHandler extension? Something else?),

One suggestion that came up was to notify the users involved. This can be
bit tricky, as from the headers, we can readily take out the recipient's
email (would be in the To:), and then notify him using Echo, but notifying
the actual sender would not work that way. I am not sure if we can regex
through a wiki email and find out the actual sender.

Currently we notify a user only when emails to his account bounce more than
a threshold (5, as I remember), right after we un-verify the accounts email
id. The user is asked to re-verify again in the notif, and if one more
email to that user bounce, he is unsubscribed again. Since we do a select
count(*) and check if its > threshold, the second time he already has a
threshold > 5, so that condition is met. We prune the records which are 90
days old, so before that, its very easy to get unsubscribed again!

Thanks,
Tony Thomas <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:01tonythomas>
Home <http://www.thomastony.me> | Blog <http://blog.thomastony.me> |
ThinkFOSS <http://www.thinkfoss.com>