[Engineering] AuthManager getting enabled in production

Gergo Tisza gtisza at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 7 21:50:13 UTC 2016

Hi all,

the Reading Infrastructure team will try to enable AuthManager [1] in WMF
production this week, with the following schedule:
- group0 Tuesday 22:00 UTC (yes, that's pretty much now)
- group1 Wednesday 22:00 UTC
- group2 Thursday 22:00 UTC

I apologize for the very late notice. I realize that such a change should
ideally be fixed long before, advertised via the Tech news etc, but
omitting that seemed like the lesser of two evils. We believe we need to
get AuthManager into the 1.27 release as having to support two completely
different authentication systems in the LTS release would be an
unreasonable burden and risk; to do that, we need to test it in production
in very short order, otherwise the release will be delayed a lot due to
vacations and Wikimania; and we weren't sure until very recently whether we
are able to keep to this schedule.

If all goes well, switching AuthManager on should have very little visible
effect (see earlier announcements [2][3]), but with a change of this
complexity all rarely goes well. If you see authentication-related
problems, please ping or cc Brad Jorsch (IRC: anomie) and me (IRC: tgr). If
we are not around and things break badly, you can revert by setting
wgDisableAuthManager to true in wmf-config.

Gergő
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Tgr_(WMF)

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:SessionManager_and_AuthManager
[2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-June/085835.html