[Engineering] [ANNOUNCEMENT] MathML/SVG as the default rendering mode on all projects

Marko Obrovac mobrovac at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 6 13:46:37 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Tuesday, May 31 we have deployed a change to the production cluster that
sets MathML with SVG fall-back as the default rendering mode for
mathematical formulae for all Wikimedia projects~[1]. This change brings
scaleable and selectable formulae to the whole Wikimedia community, not
just logged-in users, thus opening new perspectives for better rendering,
accessibility, search, equation sharing, font and unicode support, styling,
line breaking…

We are very excited about this feature seeing the light of day, not only
because of the visible improved experience for our reader and editors, but
also because this project has been carried out in collaboration with the
community. In particular, this achievement would not have been possible
without Moritz Schubotz (aka User:Physikerwelt), who has been the lead
developer of Mathoid, the rendering service responsible for producing the
MathML and SVG code that the end-users see on the web-site.

You can read more about this awesome feature on the MathML Association’s
web-site~[2].

Best,
The WMF Services Team

[2] http://mathml-association.org/announcement/2016/05/31/wikipedia.html