[Engineering] AuthManager enabled in beta

Gergo Tisza gtisza at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 1 17:41:36 UTC 2016

Hi all,

AuthManager [1] has been enabled on the beta cluster. If you see anything
strange, please file a bug and cc anomie (Brad) and me. If you are
maintaining authentication-related code, and have some time to test it,
that would be awesome. If you see serious breakage, please file blockers
for T135504 [2].

If everything goes well, this will result in very little visible change on
the web interface - some special page names are different (signup is on
Special:CreateAccount now), with the old ones redirecting; some interface
messages are different at login and account creation; pages which asked for
the password for extra security (such as email change) might send you
through the login form instead; there are some new special mages
(Special:ChangeCredentials, Special:RemoveCredentials).

For the API, this is a larger change: action=login becomes deprecated and
might break in certain situations (e.g. when the system wants you to change
your password), and action=createaccount requires different parameters.
(Bot passwords and OAuth are unaffected.) Hopefully all affected API
clients have been updated already; if not, please file blockers for T134945
[3], and update soon.

To avoid extra maintenance burden, we are aiming to convert everything to
AuthManager before 1.27 is fully released, which means we have to move
faster than we would normally prefer. We apologize for any inconvenience
this might cause.

regards,
Gergő
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Tgr_(WMF)