[Engineering] Scrum of Scrums - 2016-07-27

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 27 17:59:49 UTC 2016

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2016-07-27

= 2016-07-27 =

== Product ==

=== Reading ===

==== iOS native app ====
* 5.0.5
** passed regression, but we foud a bug in beta. Patching and pushing a new build today.
** expected release to Apple store later this week
* Development of 5.1 is in progress
* Planning of 5.2 is in progress

==== Android native app ====
* Stable release containing the feed planned for Thursday
* Work on navigation overhaul is underway

==== Mobile Content Service (MCS) ====
* Added public feed endpoints to MCS documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Team/RESTBase_services_for_apps#....2Fpage.2Frandom.2F.7Bformat.7D

==== Reading Web ====

==== Reading Infrastructure ====
* Waiting on translatewiki to be ready for https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/280945/

=== Community Tech ===
* Deploying numeric category sorting to testwiki today, others to follow
* Working with CLs to find guinea pig wiki for PageAssessments before deploying to enwiki
* Finishing work on CopyPatrol tool (https://tools.wmflabs.org/copypatrol)

=== Editing ===
==== Collaboration ====
* Blocked - None
* Blocking - Florian and I are working on refactoring how ConfirmEdit handles OutputPage, in preparation for a refactoring Timo is doing.  This may be a breaking change, so follow at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T141300 . Otherwise, no change.
* Updates
** Mention notifications: Wikimedia Germany is working on notifications for mention failures (when you apparently intended a mention, but it is not counted as one), and successful mentions.  They will also allow you to mention yourself.  We're coordinating with them on these tasks.
** Echo changes related to moderation.
** Warning when you leave a Flow board without saving.
** Working on updating the Echo badges.

==== Language ====
* Blocked: Apertium Jessie Packages (Tech Ops).
* Updates:
** Improvements in CX and CLL (ULS) continue.
** Parallel Corpora Dumps work is restarted.

== Technology ==

=== Analytics ===
* edit history reconstruction algorithms done, short demo tomorrow, scaling them to handle all wikis is next
* event bus schema work is approaching completion, the new schemas feed nicely into edit history and handle the requirements of the services team
* work on moving refinery deployment to scap3 is ongoing

=== Technical Operations ===
* '''Blocked'''
** None
* '''Blocking'''
** None
* Updates
** Got some problems during a network maintenance. T140770
** Minor issues in labs with OpenLDAP memory leaks
** Working on upgrading puppetmaster infrastructure to 3.8
** Started looking into vmod_xkey for varnish
** Planning for a parsoid host (wtp*) upgrade to jessie with Parsing. Scheduled for 1st week of August

=== Security ===
* Working on pingback privacy statement with Legal
* Mediawiki 1.27.1 nearly complete; to be released August 3
* Mediawiki 1.27.2 tracking and prep has begun
* Security releases wlll now be on a two month schedule

=== Services ===
* '''Blocked'''
** None
* '''Blocking'''
** None
* Updates
** Kafka upgrade to 0.9 ongoing.
** Session storage & authentication service planning and prototyping: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T140813

=== Architecture / ArchCom ===
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/Status

* Recent 2016W29: 2016-07-20 (last week)
** ArchCom Planning meeting: [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/E234 E234]
*** Notes: [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/2016-07-20 Architecture committee/2016-07-20]
** ArchCom-RFC office hour: [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/E235 E235]
*** Agenda: [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T126641 T126641]: [RFC] Devise plan for a cross-wiki watchlist back-end
* Upcoming 2016W30: 2016-07-27 (today)
** ArchCom Planning meeting: [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/E236 Phab:E236]
*** Notes: [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/2016-07-27 Architecture committee/2016-07-27]
** ArchCom-RFC office hour: [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/E237 Phab:E237]
*** Agenda: [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128602 T128602 Create and deploy an extension that implements an authenticated key-value store]

=== RelEng ===
* Blocking
** None
* Blocked
** None
* Updates
** Chad proposed a new icinga alert to detect files owned by root in the mediawiki deployment repository: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/301327/
** Zeljko on vacation until Aug 15th
** Antione going on vacation next week until Aug 21st

== Discovery ==
* '''Blocking''': none
* '''Blocked''': none
* Mostly working on refactoring & technical debt
* Trey published survey of top unsuccessful searches: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:TJones_(WMF)/Notes/Top_Unsuccessful_Search_Queries
* Vacations
* State of the Map & DataViz hackathon (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/DataViz_Seattle_hackathon)

== Wikidata ==
* working on prototype for structured commons
* Daniel working on multi-content revisions

== Fundraising Tech ==
* Not blocked.
* EMcNaughton is on the cusp of running a dedupe script on CiviCRM--it'll still take several weeks to finish, going at a few hundred contacts per minute, but now we think that even the first iteration will catch a majority of the duplicates.
* LZia might be doing some analysis on CentralNotice banner numbers, in a part-time volunteer project for WLM.  She'll be the first analyst to use some of our exciting new data streams, like "banner history".
* Queue overhaul is coming along steadily, no blockers.

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |