[Engineering] [Ops] Canary Deploys for MediaWiki

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 25 23:12:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Alex Monk <krenair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 July 2016 at 21:54, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Note to deployers: when syncing certain config changes (e.g. adding a new
>> variable) that touch both InitialiseSettings and CommonSettings, you will
>> now need to use sync-dir wmf-config, because individual sync-files will
>> likely fail if the intermediate state throws notices/errors.
>>
>> (It was a good idea to do this before, but it'll be more strongly enforced
>> now.)
>
> If the intermediate state throws notices/errors, wouldn't it be a better
> idea to sync-file in the correct order to prevent such notices/errors?

I think Alex is "more right" here. If you are introducing a new $wmgX
var you really should always sync-file the changed InitialiseSettings
file first and then the CommonSettings that uses it. There's no really
good reason to spew a bunch of "undefined X" warnings and there is no
guarantee with sync-dir that the files will be sent in the proper
order.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA