[Engineering] Deprecating rest.wikimedia.org in favor of /api/rest_v1/

Gabriel Wicke gwicke at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 25 19:00:10 UTC 2016

We have decided to officially retire the rest.wikimedia.org domain in
favor of /api/rest_v1/ at each individual project domain. For example,

  https://rest.wikimedia.org/en.wikipedia.org/v1/?doc

becomes

  https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/?doc

Most clients already use the new path, and benefit from better
performance from geo-distributed caching, no additional DNS lookups,
and sharing of TLS / HTTP2 connections.

We intend to shut down the rest.wikimedia.org entry point around
March, so please adjust your clients to use /api/rest_v1/ soon.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Gabriel

--
Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation