[Engineering] Scrum of Scrums - 2016-02-03

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 3 18:56:43 UTC 2016

= 2015-02-03 =

== Product ==
=== Reading ===
==== Web ====
* New related pages desktop design pushed, will measure engagement
* Instrumentation in prep for language switcher change [analytics]
* new user page designs on mobile web beta going live
* Extension:Gather - PageImages showing non-free images - meeting
* scheduled to iron out API request/response format to first try in
* Related Articles on web to adjust output

==== Android ====
* New beta coming soon with improved memory usage for images and support
* for animations. Also includes A/B testing for CirrusSearch (T125393).

==== iOS ====
* Will be integrating "top articles" feature using pageviews API
* Looking forward to mobileview API change from web team to get article
* namespaces!

==== Reading Infrastructure ====
* Nothing much this week. SessionManager should be coming back into
* master once wmf.12 is verified not to break stuff.

=== Community Tech ===
* No update.

=== Editing ===
==== Collaboration ====
* '''Blocking''':
** Dry run patch for external store migration is merged.  Now we need to
set External Store up on Beta, then test the dry run patch there:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T119567
* '''Blocked''':
** Flow dump generation on dumps.wikimedia.org:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T119511
* '''Updates''':
** We're still working on human-readable names for cross-wiki
notifications: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T121936
** MediaWiki presence at FOSDEM went well.

==== Language ====
* No update.

==== Multimedia ====
* '''Blocking''': none
* '''Blocked''': none
* '''Updates''':
** Work on image tweaks extension continues; may need input later.

==== Parsing ====
* '''Blocking''': none
* '''Blocked''': Need input from Collaboration, see below.
* '''Updates''':
** ruthenium updated to jessie and node 4.2 with almost everything
puppetized (thanks to ops, Marko, Ori). Tests look good. Need to run
separate memory load tests before making a decision to move production
parsoid to node 4.2
** Need input from collaboration team about
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124837 (migrating Flow to talk with
RESTBase) since it will simplify support when we remove inlined data-mw
from Parsoid HTML (I consider this ticket a weak blocker)
*** Matt: Should we schedule a meeting about this? Sure .. let us do it
this week.
** Will work with services team to finalize REST API versioning policy
this week -- last chance to provide input on
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124365 ... Policy will be applied
when Parsoid HTML version is changed after inlined data-mw is moved out
of Parsoid HTML
** Heads up (VE, Language, Flow): We might be able to deploy
templatedata-based serialization of transclusions next week (depends on
reviews this week).
*** https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/264043/ if you want to test your
respective clients against it (
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/264043/16/tests/mocha/templatedata.js
and https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/264043/16/tests/mockAPI.js has
tests that spec behavior if you want to take a closer look)

==== VisualEditor ====
* '''Blocking''': none known
* '''Blocked''':
** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T58337 being worked on in review
from Krinkle for https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/259771/ and
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/265878/ and so
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/265879/
* '''Updates''':
** Released yesterday (wmf.12), editing via jQuery.IME (thanks to
Language for their support); table editing improvements (move
columns/rows; copy-paste multiple cells; make/unmake tables
sortable/wikitable; cell and table contexts)
** wmf.13 will contain a split up version of OOUI; see
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113677 for work on this and some
numbers. This is not a breaking change except for non-MediaWiki users of
OOUI like VE, for whom we'll flag this.

=== Discovery ===
* Data import from analytics to ES started
* Working on integrating completion suggester for all prefix searches
* (will involve some small API changes in SearchEngine)
* TextCat is ready for inclusion in mediawiki/vendors, waiting for final
* security signoff
* Preparing for A/B test to use opening_text instead of text in morelike
* query, to improve performance
* Upgrading Wikidata Query Service to Blazegraph 2.0, so far working ok
* but some weird exceptions, investigating
* '''Blocking''': none
* '''Blocked''': security final signoff for textcat

== Technology ==

=== Analytics ===
* Dashiki: implemented limn-like layout, will end-of-life most limn
* dashboards soon
* Event Logging: problems were largely due to large tables, getting
* better as we're trimming some of those
* Wikimetrics: finished program metrics feature, deploying soon
* Jobs to count Uniques based on the Last-Access cookie are being
* productionized, will be available soon
* Bot convention thread on analytics-l concluded with us asking
* non-human user agents to include the word "Bot", for analytics
* purposes.  We'll communicate that here soon:
* https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User-Agent_policy

=== Performance ===
* No update.

=== Release Engineering ===
* Blocking:
** Phase out antimony.wikimedia.org,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123718
** /var/log/phd/damons.log growing on iridium,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124651
* Blocked: none
* Updates:
** 1.27.0-wmf.11 was skipped (and burned in effigy)
** 1.27.0-wmf.12 delayed by staging issues yesterday but train is
starting today
*** fun firefighting due to /srv/mediawiki-staging being wiped out
*** wmf.12 does not contain SessionManager due to an outstanding bug
that remains unreproducible
** scap 3.0 tagged and packaged! thanks ops!
** Finishing up work on puppet scap provider

=== Research ===
* No update.

=== Security ===
* No update.

=== Services ===
* Decommissioning parsoid-lb.wikimedia.org around Feb 22  --
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T110474
:* use RESTBase instead
* RESTBase
:* added streaming support
:* refactor: separating out the framework part of RESTBase
:* minor tweaks and bug fixes
* EventBus
:* enabled on all wikis (module private ones)
:* final tweaks to the schemas -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124741

=== Technical Operations ===
* No update.

== Advancement  ==
=== Fundraising Tech ===
* Adam Wight and Andrew Green taking the month off fr-tech to work on
* Education Program extension
* Got CI jobs running against paymentswiki branch of mediawiki (voting)
* with 1.27 non-voting (thank you releng)
* more CiviCRM enhancements
* fixes and enhancements for backup credit card processor
* prep for Latin America fundraising expansion
* investigating banner impression data outage that started yesterday
* (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T125676)

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |