[Engineering] Status and plan of SessionManager and 1.27-wmf.11 and wmf.12

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 1 18:11:06 UTC 2016

Hello,

As you know we had to rollback 1.27-wmf.11 a few times in the last two
weeks due to issues in the new SessionManager code base. The last time
was this weekend (Saturday) and thus right now (Monday Feb 1st and 18:00
UTC) Wikimedia production is running only[0] wmf.10.

After discussions with Brad (Anomie), Bryan (bd808), Dan (marxarelli),
Antoine (hashar), and myself we decided on this plan moving forward:

1) Stay at wmf.10 everywhere today/Mon Feb 1st

2) Brad/Bryan prepare master *without* SessionManager

3) Brad to prepare session invalidation improvement (speed up the
invalidation process)

4) Tomorrow/Tuesday Feb 2nd: cut wmf.12 (without SessionManager)

5) Roll wmf.12 as normal this week (ie: skip wmf.11 entirely)

6) Rest of week: Brad and Bryan to get some more end-to-end tests
running with Dan

7) Next week: Hopefully get SessionManager back into wmf.13 (with
session invalidation improvement incorporated)

Apologies to all for the issues we've been having and apologies to
Bryan, Brad, and Gergo for delaying the rollout of SessionManager (and
probably AuthManager). I think this is the best solution we have right
now given the situation.

Best,

Greg

[0] If you care about relatively tiny details, the mw1017 appserver is
running wmf.11, but the only users that get that server set a special
debug header. This is for the team to test/debug what they can.

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |